28 02, 2017

Empathy vs Sympathy…a video post by Tom

By |2021-02-09T13:12:38-05:00February 28th, 2017|Animals, Community, Discernment, Emotions, Empathy, family systems, Human, Listening, Loneliness|1 Comment

Check out the following short video illustrating the important difference between empathy and sympathy.  Now ask the question which one is God? Which one are you? Imagine how the quality of our relationships  would improve if we embodied this…and thus the quality of our lives.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

31 01, 2017

Beacon of Light…a post by Joy

By |2021-02-09T13:12:58-05:00January 31st, 2017|Beauty, Community, Holy Spirit, Imagination|1 Comment

As a child I remember that my mother loved to light candles for many of our evening meals. For me, it made the meal time extra inviting along with the delicious food served, and the ordinary conversations of daily life. Time permitting, my father would tell a favorite story using the candles as a prop that we as children, and even as adults, loved to hear. As a college student returning home for a visit, and when Jim and I were first married, I remember the candle light in the window welcoming us home.  It was as though it

17 01, 2017

I Have a Dream…a post by Jim

By |2021-02-09T13:13:09-05:00January 17th, 2017|Community, Desire, Future, Imagination, Responsibility, Vision|0 Comments

Martin Luther King, much like Martin Luther centuries ago and the Apostle John and the Old Testament prophets of old, had a vision of a different future. They had a dream of what life might look like when the kingdom of God is more fully lived on earth. They called people to live that reality. We cannot live well without a vision, without a dream, without hope of something better. At so many levels and in so many places we see the brokenness, suffering, and sin of people on the edge of the vision. Indeed, all of us need

21 12, 2016

Merry Christmas from CrossPoint…a post by Rich

By |2021-02-09T13:13:14-05:00December 21st, 2016|Advent, Community, Relational Design, Sacramental Perspective, The Relational Soul, Trinity, Trust|1 Comment

We at CrossPoint Ministry wish you all a very Merry Christmas. In a world polarized by and riddled with fear there is no greater message than of the one who is called “Immanuel” God with us. The Christmas story is magnificent in many ways. The angelic announcement to the shepherds of “good news of great joy,” the noble humility of Mary and her words “let it be to me according to your word,” and Joseph’s dream marked by the angelic voice saying, ‘She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his

23 11, 2016

A Thanksgiving Invitation…by Tom and Oriah Mountain Dreamer

By |2021-02-09T13:13:29-05:00November 23rd, 2016|Community, Desire, Emotions, Human, Imagination, Relational Design, Self-Clarity, Thanksgiving|1 Comment

Thanksgiving is upon us and with it comes the requisite gatherings with family and friends, or not. These spaces of holiday gatherings can be either interesting or disinteresting.  The usual suspects arrive and tell the usual stories with the usual chatter.  What could make these interactions different or interesting?  The following poem leads us in a beautiful invitation to have an interesting holiday with whomever we are with and most importantly ourself.  The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream

3 10, 2016

Home is where the heart is…a post by Jim

By |2021-02-09T13:13:44-05:00October 3rd, 2016|Attachment, Attachment Patterns, Community, Emotions, family systems, Relational Design, Self-Clarity, Suffering, The Relational Soul|0 Comments

Home is where the heart is. Sounds encouraging. And it should be. Home should be the place where our souls are safe, encouraged, and loved. Home should be the best place to be. But there is another way to think of the phrase, “Home is where the heart is.” And it isn’t necessarily good news. Because the state of our home, especially our family of origin when we are young, has a huge impact on where the heart is emotionally. And if the home system is not healthy or holy we will struggle when it comes to how close

11 07, 2016

Red, Yellow, Black and White…a post by Jim

By |2021-02-09T13:14:34-05:00July 11th, 2016|Community, Creation, Human, Trinity, Vision|0 Comments

One of my earliest memories from Sunday School is singing, “Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red, yellow, black and white they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.” The song was about as diverse as we got in the Dutch community of Holland, MI in the late 50s. But it was and IS true. Jesus does love ALL ethnic groups. The trouble is that we find that hard to do. The recent events of shooting and killing by and of police are tragic. And it appears that race was

13 06, 2016

Escaping the Matrix…a post by Jim

By |2021-02-09T13:14:54-05:00June 13th, 2016|Attachment, Attachment Patterns, Community, Creation, Emotions, Humility, Imagination, Memory, Relational Design, Self-Clarity, Suffering|0 Comments

God created us to be a complex mix of biology and experience. We are embodied souls who have minds that inevitably draw us into relationships. Gregory Boyd calls this complex interface a matrix (Escaping the Matrix). He explains what he means by saying, biologically, we are given billions of neurons that connect via trillions of neuro synapsis. We are also given the manner by which the brain is constructed to function (e.g. neurons firing together wire together). God created us this way and it is “very good” (and incredibly complex!). Now what gets registered in our God-given neuro

6 06, 2016

Let the Gospels Define Us…a post by Rich

By |2021-02-09T13:14:59-05:00June 6th, 2016|Community, Holy Spirit, Love, Relational Design, Self-Clarity, The Relational Soul, Trinity|0 Comments

A recent discussion with a pastor led to us considering the question, what do the gospel writers emphasize as the message of Jesus? Did the gospel writers emphasize that Jesus brought a message about life or was it about sin. Our perspective at CrossPoint is that the gospel writers believed that Jesus in inaugurating and establishing the new creation through his life, death, resurrection and ascension was bringing a message of life. Perhaps John is most explicit when he records these words of Jesus, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die,

21 03, 2016

It Takes a Body…a post by Jim

By |2021-02-09T13:15:45-05:00March 21st, 2016|Community, Creation, Passion Week, Spiritual Disciplines|0 Comments

“Christianity is to have one’s body shaped, one’s habits determined, in such a manner that the worship of God is unavoidable” (Stanley Hauerwas). A spiritual discipline is “an activity within our power—something we can do—which brings us to a point where we can do what we at present cannot do by direct effort” (Dallas Willard). Practicing spiritual disciplines shape us so that we become the kind of person who more instinctively lives the kind of life that is pleasing to our Lord. That is to say, the change our being through our doing. They shape our souls through our

Load More Posts
Go to Top